There is always something happening at the Great Little Trains of Wales.
A complete list of events for 2018 is available HERE.
- July 28th & 29th. Fairbourne. Steam Gala. Our annual Gala, with visiting locos, intesive train service, stalls and much more. Day rover tickets available. Further details HERE.
- Friday 27th July and Fridays 3rd & 10th August. Talyllyn. Fish 'n Chip Fridays. Departs Tywyn Wharf Every Friday in August at 1510 & 1620. The Fish ‘n' Chip Special takes you on a steam train trip through glorious Snowdonia before returning to King's Licensed Cafe for a good old British favourite. Further details HERE.
- 16th July - 30th August 2018 on yellow and green timetabled days. Vale of Rheidol. Driver for a Fiver. Drive a steam engine at Devil's Bridge. This summer, the Vale of Rheidol Railway is giving you the chance to realise those childhood dreams and have a go at driving a steam locomotive. Further details HERE.
- 28th July. Bala Lake. "Alice" Day. Come along and meet “Alice the Little Welsh Engine” from Pauline Hazelwood's beautiful childrens' books. Pauline the author will be at Llanuwchllyn station reading some of the stories, demonstrating how she draws the characters and involving the children in activities as well as signing books. Further details HERE.
- July 29th to August 3rd. Llanberis Lake. Super Hero Week. Kids, come dressed as your favourite Super Hero, cartoon or Disney character and you can travel free of charge! Also, the best dressed on each day will win a prize. Look out around our stations for our very own Super Heroes.
Further details HERE.
- 1st, 4th, 8th, 11th, 15th, 18th, 22nd and 25th August. Vale of Rheidol. Summer Evening Excursions. Make the most of the long summer evenings with steam hauled evening excursions along the Rheidol Valley. There will be no need to worry about cooking as we'll serve up a delicious fish & chip supper at Devil's Bridge. Summer Evening Excursions depart Aberystwyth at 6:00pm, arriving back at 9:00pm. Further details HERE.
- August 5th, 12th. 19th, 26th. Welsh Highland Railway. Journey into the past. Take a heritage train ride into the past - travelling between Dinas and Rhyd Ddu in historic carriages, behind a 150-year old steam locomotive... You will be accompanied by an on-board guide, who will point out places and items of interest along the way. There'll be an extended stop at Tryfan Junction to to visit the beautifully restored station building - and to photograph the heritage train in this remote location - before continuing through the beautiful Gwyfrai valley to Rhyd Ddu on the slopes of Snowdon... A packed lunch will also be provided for you to enjoy during the journey. Advance Booking required - further details HERE.
- 2nd. 9th. &16th. August. Ffestiniog. Jazz in the Park. “Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer…” - Make the most of the long summer evenings and enjoy the mellow sounds of Jazz at Tan-y-Bwlch. We are delighted to introduce our 2018 season of Jazz party trains to Tan y Bwlch featuring the ever popular Dr Jazz. Further details HERE.
- Fridays 3rd & 10th. August. Talyllyn. Fish 'n Chip Fridays. Departs Tywyn Wharf Every Friday in August at 1510 & 1620. The Fish ‘n' Chip Special takes you on a steam train trip through glorious Snowdonia before returning to King's Licensed Cafe for a good old British favourite. Further details HERE.
- August 4th 5th & 18th, 19th. Welshpool & Llanfair. Vintage Trains. Travel on replicas of our original 1903 Great Western liveried bogie carriages, with goods wagons and brake van attached, and watch the shunting at each end of the trip. The 'Vintage Trains' depart Llanfair Caereinion at 11:10 and 14:45, or from Welshpool at 13:05 and 16:20 (no return train available from Llanfair Caereinion). Further details HERE.
- Friday 3rd. - Sunday 5th. August. Talyllyn. Beer Festival. A Beer Festival featuring 20 Real Ales and 8 Ciders from across Wales and Shropshire will be available for £3 a pint from 1030 until 2300 at Tywyn Wharf. Further details HERE.
- August 8th. & 25th. Welshpool & Llanfair. Fish and Chips Train. Travel on the special evening train from Llanfair Caereinion; at Welshpool we will serve your choice of meal to enjoy on the return journey, with a pause at Castle Caereinion to stretch your legs and to enjoy the view and a tub of delicious dairy ice cream. Soft drinks will be available to purchase on the train. Further details HERE.
- August 2nd, 9th and 16th. Bala Lake. BBQ Specials. A very pleasant way to spend the evening on a return journey by steam departing Llanuwchllyn at 6:15pm. Stop for a barbeque at Llangower and watch the sun going down across the lake. Pre-booking is required. Further details HERE.
- August 14th. Talyllyn. Floral Train. An evening out by specially decorated floral train departing Tywyn Wharf at 1930Refreshments available from Quarryman's tea room at Abergynolwyn. A great way to enjoy the unspoilt scenery of Southern Snowdonia as the sun sets. Booking Advised. Further details HERE.
- Saturday 18th August. Talyllyn. Race the Train. Runners take the challenge of Tywyn Rotary Clubs' Race The Train Event. Limited public timetable. Further details HERE.
- Tuesday 21st August. Talyllyn. Beer & BBQ Train. This evening train will depart from Tywyn Wharf station at 7:00pm and take you steaming through the scenic Fathew Valley to the perfect pint. While you are at Abergynolwyn station, there will be a barbeque running with excellent food and quality beer available. Booking essential for this train. Further details HERE.
- Thursday 23rd August. Talyllyn. Peter Sam's Party. Come and join Peter Sam and his friends for some fun and activities! Peter Sam's special train will leave Tywyn Wharf station for Abergynolwyn at 9.45am. Further details HERE.
- Thursday 23rd August. Ffestiniog. Rock n Roll @ Tanybwlch.
An Evening with the 'Del Sharrons'... Put your sneakers on and get set to rock 'n' roll as this 1950s style group - a five piece band from Leicester who provide a great evening's entertainment.. Advance booking advised. Further details HERE.
- August 25th - 27th. Bala Lake. Mini Steam Gala. Our home fleet of engines will be taking part in a mini steam gala with an intensive timetable and a chance to have a go yourself with our 'Driver for a Fiver'.
Further details HERE.
- Saturday 25th August. Talyllyn, Evening Train & Abergynolwyn Show. Join us from 11.30 am in Abergynolwyn Station Field for a day of fun for all the Family!
the ever popular Evening Steam trains return to the Talyllyn Railway for 2018!
Further details HERE.
- Friday 31st August - Sunday 2nd September. Welshpool & Llanfair. Gala Weekend. Our biggest event of the year, again over three days. Every operating engine will be in use. Traction engines, steam cars and lorries, a model railway exhibition, demonstrations and trade stands, and a shuttle bus to the associated Llanfair Garden Railway Show up the hill at Llanfair High School. Further details HERE.
The Great Little Gift!
Valid for 2018 Season
For just £10 bring a smile to every train enthusiast’s face! Buying the Great Little Trains of Wales Discount Card entitles the holder to 20% off one adult full round trip fare on normal timetabled trains on the participating Railways listed on the card- which is valid for one year from the first date of use (Terms & Conditions apply).
We have also arranged discounts for Great Little Trains of Wales Card holders with selected accommodation providers close to many of our member railways! This makes the card a real bargain and the perfect present!
More details HERE.