There is always something happening at the Great Little Trains of Wales.
A complete list of events for 2018 is available HERE.
- Saturday April 14th. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland. The Snowdonian. The Snowdonian offers an 80 mile round trip over the whole railway with a variety of motive power. Tickets for the trains running in 2018 are now available. Please note that all details are subject to change. Third Class £185.00. Very limited First Class £400.00.
Traditional Snowdonian. Friday evening tour of Boston Lodge at 1645. Saturday approx departure 0845 return 1815. Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog -Caernarfon - Porthmadog. Breakfast & Tea on Train. Lunch at the Snowdonia Parc in Waunfawr. Locomotives will be 'Linda' and 'Blanche' on the Ffestiniog Railway, and double-headed Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway. Further details HERE.
- April 21st. & 22nd. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland. Volunteers Weekend.
Have you ever wondered about volunteering on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways? Have you ever thought about guarding trains, firing locomotives or working on the track? You don't need previous experience or special skills, as full training will be given. This could be the dream you never thought would come true! After the success of our event last year we are holding a two-day “Give It a Try” weekend on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd April when we will take you behind the scenes, show you what you can do and to answer all of your questions. There will be something that appeals to everyone and if you are not sure, we will let you have a go. Further details HERE.
- Saturday 28th April. Vale of Rheidol. Jazz Night at the Hafod Hotel. After a great success last year we are hosting two events this year, so step back into the world of the Great Gatsby while the music plays and the bootleg liquor flows. Everyone dresses in 1920s outfits - so pull on your flapper dress and get ready to Charleston! Further details HERE.
- May 12th. Welsh Highland. Caernarfon Food Festival. Caernarfon will become that little bit tastier in May as the town's third annual food festival kicks off with an impressive starter, mains and dessert of stalls, events and demos! Running on May 12th and stretched across the Slate Quay, Y Maes and Stryd y Plas, there will be over 70 locals food stalls drawn from across the regions of Gwynedd, Clwyd and Ynys Mon. There will also be various shows held over the weekend. Helping you get to and from the festival is our enhanced train service giving you more time in the town. Further details HERE.
Tuesday 29th May. Talyllyn. Murder Mystery Train. Whodunnit at our Murder Mystery night, who has come to a sticky end at the Great British Bump Off? Further details HERE.
- May 18th -20th. Welsh Highland. Rail Ale Festival. The Welsh Highland Railway Society's Real Ale Festival – Cwrw ar y Cledrau / Rail Ale – will this year take place from May 18th - 20th. This year's Festival, which will be the fourteenth of this now highly successful happening in the Railway's calendar of events, will comprise the usual eclectic mix of a fine selection of real ales and ciders, combined with a variety of music, fine food and of course steam hauled trains. Further details HERE.
- May 26th. Welshpool & Llanfair. Fish & Chips Train. Travel on the special evening train from Llanfair Caereinion; at Welshpool we will serve your choice of meal to enjoy on the return journey, with a pause at Castle Caereinion for a tub of delicious dairy ice cream. Advance booking essential.This special train will operate in addition to our daytime service. Ordinary fares apply on our daytime service, but special fares will be applicable on the evening Fish & Chips train. Further details HERE.
- Saturday 26th - Monday 28th May. Bala Lake. GLTW Model Railway Show.
Welcome to the third Great Little trains Model Railway exhibition in the town of Bala in a new and re-furbished school. Located in three halls with easy access, free parking, full refreshments and a free vintage bus service linking the exhibition with the Bala Lake Railway. Additionally there is a vintage transport show taking place at the railway on Sunday and Monday.
Further details HERE.
- Sunday 27th. May, Monday 28th May. Bala Lake. Festival of Transport. The Festival will feature a selection of vintage and classic tractors, motorbikes, cars, rally cars, stationary engines, classic Landrovers, fairground, military and large scale models. Trade stands and refreshments available. Car parking for the Festival of Transport will be in Llanuwchllyn Village with a free shuttle bus to the show. Please note parking at the station will be for railway passengers only. Further details HERE.
- 31st. May. Bala Lake. Evening Excursion. Jacket potatoes cooked in our very special way inside the smokebox of the engine as it chuﬀs along the lake. We'll stop on the way back to enjoy the food, including dessert.
Further details HERE.
The Great Little Gift!
Valid for 2018 Season
For just £10 bring a smile to every train enthusiast’s face! Buying the Great Little Trains of Wales Discount Card entitles the holder to 20% off one adult full round trip fare on normal timetabled trains on the participating Railways listed on the card- which is valid for one year from the first date of use (Terms & Conditions apply).
We have also arranged discounts for Great Little Trains of Wales Card holders with selected accommodation providers close to many of our member railways! This makes the card a real bargain and the perfect present!
More details HERE.