There is always something happening at the Great Little Trains of Wales.
A complete list of events for 2018 is available HERE.
- Thursdays in June. Talyllyn. Victorian Train. The Talyllyn Railway is probably alone in being able to run its original passenger train dating from the 1860's, and invites you to enjoy a guided tour travelling in this unique train. The guide will travel in your carriage for part of the journey, pointing out interesting features and answering questions. Stops for lunch, photographs, forest walks and more Make your journey extra special and book a hamper to take with you on the train for £8 per head*, include a 200ml bottle of Prosecco and a goblet (compostable) for £12 pp.
Further details HERE.
Saturday 9th June. Welshpool & Llanfair. Vintage Train. Travel on replicas of our original 1903 Great Western liveried bogie carriages, with goods wagons and brake van attached, and watch the shunting at each end of the trip. The 'Vintage Trains' depart Llanfair Caereinion at 11:10 and 14:45, or from Welshpool at 13:05 and 16:20 (no return train available from Llanfair Caereinion). Further details HERE.
- Saturday 9th June. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland. Snowdonian Ltd. T
The 'Snowdonian Limited' is a repeat of our popular April train, again offering an 80 mile round trip over the whole railway with a variety of motive power. Tickets for the trains running in 2018 are now available. Please note that all details are subject to change. Further details HERE.
- June 16th - June 18th. Bala Lake. Steam Gala. Our annual steam gala has moved this year to tie in with the Ffestiniog Railway Hunslet 125 event taking place in Porthmadog between the 22nd and 25th June. Our theme this year will be the Penrhyn Quarry, with three visiting locomotives, a busy timetable of passenger and demonstration freight trains, and lots more besides.
Our visiting Penrhyn Quarry locomotives will be:
- Hunslet "Gwynedd" Works No. 316 built in 1883 and a sister locomotive to or resident "Winifred" visiting from Bressingham Steam Museum & Gardens
- Hunslet "Hugh Napier" Works No. 855 built in 1904 and owned by the National Trust visiting from the Ffestiniog Railway
- Avonside "Marchllyn" Works No. 2067 built in 1933 visiting from the Statfold Barn Railway
Further details HERE.
- Sunday 17th June. Talyllyn. Fathers Day. Join us in Celebrating Our Dad's on Father's Day this year and give them the special day that they deserve! Your train will depart from Tywyn Wharf Station at 2pm but not before King's Licensed Café serves up a delightful Sunday lunch for you to tuck into. Then relax on our train through the scenic journey through the Fathew Valley and spend some quality time with your loved ones. Further details HERE.
- June 19th, 20th, 21st, 23rd, 24th. . Bala Lake. Visiting Locos. Our special event continues during the week with visiting engines taking over our regular services, as all our resident engines will be going on holiday to the Ffestiniog Railway.
We currently have the following visiting locomotives scheduled to haul our trains:
Further details HERE.
- Tuesday 19th June - "Gwynedd"
- Wednesday 20th June - "Gwynedd"
- Thursday 21st June - "Palmerston", visiting from the Ffestiniog Railway
- Saturday 23rd June - "Palmerston"
- Sunday 24th June - "Palmerston"
- Sunday 17th June. Brecon Mountain. Fathers Day. Bring your father with you and he can travel for the price of a child. Your dad whatever his age will enjoy a day out at the brecon mountain railway whether it's reminising about steam trains, engineering, building or just a trip down memory lane. Further details HERE.
- Sunday 17th June. Welshpool & Llanfair. Fathers Day. Any father accompanied by his child travels at the child price. Multiple generations welcome! The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway is joining in the celebrations for Fathers' Day on Sunday 17 th June by offering dads the chance to ride the line at child rate.
On that day fathers who travel on the popular mid-Wales steam railway with one or more of their children will pay only £4.50 return for each ticket, the standard fare for children aged 3-15 (as always, children under three travel free). This compares to the standard adult return fare of £13.70. Further details HERE.
- June 23rd & 24th. Welshpool & Llanfair. Transport Festival. A new and exciting festival for Welshpool encompassing all types of transport. The W&LLR will be running extra trains with frequent departures from Welshpool. Timetable currently not available. Further details HERE.
- June 22nd - 24th. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland. Hunslet 125. The railway's steadfast Hunslet ladies, Linda and Blanche, are 125 years old in 2018 and we are throwing a party! A multitude of events are planned, Full details HERE .
- Saturday 30th Jine - Sunday 1st July. Talyllyn. Garden Railway and Beer Festival. Over this weekend the popular Llechfan Garden Railway at Wharf Station will be running, with a Garden Railway Market, Drive a Talyllyn Steam Engine for £10, visiting miniature 5″ gauge ride on railway and Evening Steam Train. A Beer Festival featuring 20 Real Ales and 8 Ciders from across Wales and Shropshire will be available for £3 a pint from 1030 until 2300 at Tywyn Wharf.
See famous narrow gauge trains and impressive locomotives in miniature, including Talyllyn locomotives and rolling stock! Admire the wonderful layout with its many aspects. The Garden Railway is free of charge.
Throughout the day you will have the chance to live a childhood dream and get behind the controls of a Steam locomotive for a short distance-for just £10! There is no need to book, just turn up and go. Further details HERE.
The Great Little Gift!
Valid for 2018 Season
For just £10 bring a smile to every train enthusiast’s face! Buying the Great Little Trains of Wales Discount Card entitles the holder to 20% off one adult full round trip fare on normal timetabled trains on the participating Railways listed on the card- which is valid for one year from the first date of use (Terms & Conditions apply).
We have also arranged discounts for Great Little Trains of Wales Card holders with selected accommodation providers close to many of our member railways! This makes the card a real bargain and the perfect present!
More details HERE.