There is always something happening at the Great Little Trains of Wales.
A complete list of events for 2017 is available here.
- Saturday 29th. - Sunday 30th. April. Talyllyn Railway. 80's Weekend. Missing the 80's? Want to relive Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up hit single? Then blimey we have a treat in store for you! Whether it's the 80's cars you miss or the pop hits, this will be a memorable weekend celebrating 80's iconic moments. An 80's Trivia Quiz will take place throughout the weekend and a car display will be on show for your captivation in the yard at Wharf Station. Further details HERE.
- April 28th - May 1st. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway. Quirks and Curiosities Weekend. May Bank Holiday weekend will once again see a gathering of strange and wonderfull 2ft. gauge vehicles on the F&WHR in a much requested sequel to our inaugural Q&C in 2010. Further details HERE.
- Sunday, May 6th. Bala Lake Railway. Maid Marian 50 Years. It was 50 years ago to this date that Maid Marian was rescued from Dinorwic quarry for preservation by the Maid Marian Locomotive Fund. To celebrate this event Maid Marian will be running in her original cabless (Dinorwic Quarry) form during 2017 with her original bunkers and replacement dumb buffers. Join us to celebrate her half a century in preservation. Further details HERE.
- May 13th, May 14th. Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. Pickering Specials. Travel on replicas of our original 1903 Great Western liveried bogie carriages, with goods wagons and brake van attached, and watch the shunting at each end of the trip. Each weekend will feature additional historical activities, including demonstration freight movements, trans-shipment, heritage steam-powered road vehicles, agricultural displays Further details HERE.
- Sunday, May 14th. Bala Lake Railway. New Volunteers Day. This year, make it the year you take the leap. We are running a special volunteer recruitment and experience day, so why not book and register your interest? Taking place on Sunday 14th May 2017, the day will give you an opportunity to spend time with train crew in their working environments (and have a go yourself under supervision), get a taste of what our maintenance teams get up to outside and in the engine shed, and experience our small, friendly atmosphere that makes the BLR special.
Further details HERE.
- May 19th -21st. Welsh Highland Railway. Rail Ale Festival. The Welsh Highland Railway Society's Real Ale Festival – Cwrw ar y Cledrau / Rail Ale – will this year take place from May 19th - 21st. This year's Festival, which will be the thirteenth of this now highly successful happening in the Railway's calendar of events, will comprise the usual eclectic mix of a fine selection of real ales and ciders, combined with a variety of music, fine food and of course steam hauled trains. Further details HERE.
- May 27th - 29th. Fairbourne Railway. Steam Gala. Sian returns to the Fairbourne Railway, for our annual gala. Further details HERE.
- May 27th - 28th. Bala Lake Railway. Model Railway Sow & Festival of Transport. Two great family shows on one weekend at either end of the railway, and the best way to get from one to the other is by train, plus a connecting bus service.
Further details HERE.
- Saturday 27th May. Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. Fish & Chips Evening Train. Travel on the special evening train from Llanfair Caereinion; at Welshpool we will serve your choice of meal to enjoy on the return journey, with a pause at Castle Caereinion to stretch your legs and to enjoy the view (weather permitting). Soft drinks will be available on the train and an opportunity to purchase an icecream at Welshpool too!
Further details HERE.
- 29th - 31st May. Vale of Rheidol Railway. Driver for a Fiver. Drive a steam engine at Devil's Bridge. This summer, the Vale of Rheidol Railway is giving you the chance to realise those childhood dreams and have a go at driving a steam locomotive.
Quarry Hunslet No 605 "Margaret" will be in steam at Devil's Bridge station on selected days and for a small fee, there will be opportunities for Footplate rides or the chance to take the controls and drive the locomotive over a short section of line. Further details HERE.
- Wednesday 31st May. Vale of Rheidol Railway. Music on the Train. Join us for a stunning train ride through the Rheidol Valley accompanied by local Artists! Listen to the sound of acoustic music in the carriages, each artist will play a set in the each of the carriages whilst the train travels up into the Cambrian Mountains from Aberystwyth. The journey will take an hour to carry you up to the picturesque village of Devil's Bridge, nestled at the top of the Rheidol Valley. Departing at 6pm on the 31st May and at 10.30am on the 8th October, you board the train at the Rheidol Railway's Aberystwyth Station. Standard ticket fares apply. Further details HERE.
- Thursday 1st June. Talyllyn Railway. Peter Sam's Party. Come and join Peter Sam and his friends for some fun and activities! Peter Sam's special train will leave Tywyn Wharf station for Abergynolwyn at 9.45am. Take part in a family “Spot Peter Sam” competition up and down the line as well as various activities based at both Tywyn and Abergynolwyn stations.
Further details HERE.
- Thursdays 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th. June. Talyllyn Railway. Victorian Trains. Journey in Victorian carriages behind an original Talyllyn locomotive, with a conducted tour, stops for photographs and a museum tour.A unique day out for enthusiasts and anyone with an interest in the past. Further details HERE.
- Saturday 10th. June. Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. Afternoon Tea Train. Return journey from Llanfair Caereinion to Welshpool, leaving Llanfair at 13:50. Travel in the luxurious tea train featuring the first class Sierra Leone Railway carriage and cosy Austrian tea car enroute to Welshpool or return, with Welsh sweet and savoury tea served at your seat in one direction. Full silver and linen service. Special fares will apply. Further details HERE.
- Sunday June 18th. Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. Fathers Day Special. Any father accompanied by his child travels at the child price and gets a workshop tour. Multiple generations welcome! Normal fares apply on all trains. Further details HERE.
- Sunday June 18th. Brecon Mountain Railway. Fathers Day Special. Bring your father with you and he can travel for the price of a child. Your dad whatever his age will enjoy a day out at the brecon mountain railway whether it's reminiscing about steam trains, engineering, building or just a trip down memory lane. Further details HERE.
- 17th & 18th. June. Welsh Highland Heritage Railway. Teddy Bears Picnic. Free travel for all Children who bring their favourite Teddy Bear along for a Ride. Further details HERE.
- 3rd, 4th. & 24th, 25th June. Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. Pickering Specials. Travel on replicas of our original 1903 Great Western liveried bogie carriages, with goods wagons and brake van attached, and watch the shunting at each end of the trip. Each weekend will feature additional historical activities, including demonstration freight movements, trans-shipment, heritage steam-powered road vehicles, agricultural displays Further details HERE.
The Great Little Gift!
Valid for 2017 Season
For just £10 bring a smile to every train enthusiast’s face! Buying the Great Little Trains of Wales Discount Card entitles the holder to 20% off one adult full round trip fare on normal timetabled trains on the participating Railways listed on the card- which is valid for one year from the first date of use (Terms & Conditions apply).
We have also arranged discounts for Great Little Trains of Wales Card holders with selected accommodation providers close to many of our member railways! This makes the card a real bargain and the perfect present!
More details HERE.